Shorter days and cooler temperatures of fall mean a shift from light summer salads and grilled veggies to warmer, soul-satisfying foods. Here are some tasty recipes to try that you can fix in a jiffy in your apartment home, even after a long day at work.1. Smoked Salmon Hash
Heart-healthy salmon pairs with hearty potatoes in this one-skillet dish.
- Cook 1-1/2 pounds diced potatoes in 1/4 cup olive oil over medium-high heat until tender.
- Add 4 ounces chopped smoked salmon. Serve with a mixture of 1/4 cup crème fraîche, 1 tablespoon chopped chives and 2 teaspoons horseradish.
Add a fall twist to this south-of-the-border favorite.
- Combine 2 cups canned pumpkin purée with 1 teaspoon ground cumin and spread over 4 flour tortillas.
- Sprinkle with 4 ounces goat cheese and 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts before topping with 4 flour tortillas. Cook one at a time over medium-low heat in a skillet coated with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil. Turn each quesadilla once, adding oil as needed.
- Once browned on both sides, cut into wedges.
Save time by using a 1-pound packaged pre-cooked pot roast.
- Cube the pot roast and add to a skillet with the juices along with 1-1/2 cups sliced mushrooms and one 8-ounce bottle of picante sauce. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add one 14-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in 1 cup quick-cooking couscous before removing from heat to stand covered for 5 minutes. Toss in some snips of cilantro and fluff with a fork.
- Serve pot roast on top of the couscous with sides of sour cream, chopped tomato and sliced avocado for garnishes.
Who needs carry-out? This dish will satisfy your craving for Asian food.
- Cut 1 pound boneless beef sirloin into strips and brown in a Dutch oven with 1 tablespoon heated cooking oil.
- Add two 14-ounce cans of low-sodium beef broth and 1/3 cup peanut sauce. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir in 3 ounces medium egg noodles and reduce heat. Simmer 4 minutes, stirring as needed to keep noodles separated.
- Add 2 cups broccoli florets and return to a boil, then simmer 4 more minutes until noodles are tender. Serve with an optional sprinkle of sliced green onions.
You can never go wrong with sandwiches. Start the chicken in the slow cooker in the morning for quick prep at dinner time.
- Place 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the slow cooker on top of a peeled, sliced apple and sliced sweet onion. Add 1 teaspoon each salt, pepper, paprika and dry mustard. Cover with 12 ounces hard cider and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken, shred with two forks, then return to the slow cooker and toss with the other ingredients.
- Serve between 2 slices of toast and top with shredded sharp white cheddar.
Have a favorite fall recipe to share? Post it in the comments!