While the thought behind a gift is always appreciated, the actual present itself may miss the mark. Perhaps it's the wrong size or a duplicate of something you already own. Maybe it simply doesn't fit your lifestyle or tastes.
Unwanted gifts can still serve a useful purpose. Here are some of our favorite ideas to find a home for these perfectly good items.
1. Return or Exchange
Most stores have a post-holiday grace period when they will accept exchanges without a receipt, although if you prefer to return it, you will usually get store credit for the current sell price of the item instead of cash. Another downside is that inventory can be pretty limited thanks to holiday shopping.
- Resell your unwanted presents and pick up a little extra cash to pay for your own gift-giving. Amazon, eBay and Craigslist are the major resale sites, but you may want to try a site like Listia, which allows you to sell items with no transaction fees and accumulate credits to use for products or cash.
- Consider taking items such as clothing or jewelry to a resale or consignment shop. For a percentage of the sale price, the store owner will do the work for you. Not surprisingly, there are also some top online consignment sites.
- Following the idea that it's better to give than to receive, you can get a great deal of satisfaction from donating unwanted gifts to charities and worthy causes. Organizations such as Goodwill and Salvation Army operate thrift stores stocked with donated items.
- Would you rather donate your items directly to a charity? Check Domestic Shelters, Homeless Shelter Directory or Donation Town for information about organizations in your area.
Despite the scorn expressed by Jerry Seinfeld and his friends, regifting is an increasingly legitimate way of recycling unwanted presents. Set aside an area in a closet of your Springs luxury apartment home where you can store gifts for easy access when needed.
Swapping is a practical way for groups of people to solve their unwanted gift problem, with the optional benefit of combining it with a social event.
- Host a swap party at your Springs luxury apartment home. RealSimple offers helpful guidelines for planning the party, from menu suggestions to how to deal with leftover items.
- Surprise! There are dozens of online bartering and swapping sites featuring everything from books to vacation homes.