With temperatures that can drop into the 40s, winter isn't a particularly popular time to move in San Antonio, but summer can be tough when the mercury creeps into the 90s. Here are some ways to keep your cool during your hot weather move into one of our Springs San Antonio luxury apartment homes.
1. Get an Early Start
Peak sunlight hours are 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., when the heat is at its most intense. Plan to do most of the strenuous physical work early in the morning to take advantage of the cooler temperatures.
2. Dress for Success
Stick with loose-fitting clothes made from breathable fabrics like cotton that will allow you to move freely without sticking to your skin. Dark colors absorb sunlight, so choose neutral colors such as white or beige.
3. Don't Forget the Accessories
- Apply plenty of sunscreen on any parts of your body where skin will be exposed. Choose a brand with a minimum 30 SPF and preferably waterproof. Reapply regularly every two to three hours.
- This isn't the time to worry about a bad hair day. A baseball cap or wide-brimmed hat will help protect your face and prevent painful sunburned scalps.
- Sandals or flip-flops may sound like appropriate footwear, but the risk of injury outweighs the need to keep your feet cool. Go with a comfortable pair of athletic shoes.
- Gloves in the summer? Metal and hard plastics can quickly become overheated, so protect the sensitive skin on your palms.
4. Let the Water Flow
We all know the importance of staying hydrated, but it's easy to forget when you're in the middle of a big project like moving. Pack a cooler with ice and water and keep it in a handy place for quick access.
5. Snack Attack
You probably won't feel like eating a full meal, but you can maintain your energy with some light and healthy summer snacks.
6. Take a Break
You might be tempted to power through so you can finish quickly, but it can actually work the opposite way when you and your helpers start to tire. Take some time midday to rest, refresh and recharge.
It's a good time to treat yourself and your crew to a cool, tasty drink.
- T-Good's Shaved Ice has nine locations around the San Antonio area
- In addition to shaved ice, Bahama Buck's menu includes smoothies, sodas, lemonade and Frostalattés
- If you want to splurge, Menchie's has three locations with delicious fro-yo flavors that you can customize with your choice of dozens of toppings
7. Plan a Cool Finish
Don't take all these hot weather precautions only to end up in a sauna when you're done. Turn on the air in your new Springs apartment ahead of time so it's an oasis of cool.