Back-to-school comes around every year at our Springs San Antonio luxury apartment communities, yet somehow it always feels like the first time. Start your kids on the road to a successful year with these valuable organizing tips for the whole family.
1. Ease Into a New Routine
Late to bed and late to rise might work for vacation time, but during the school year it's just asking for problems. Start a couple of weeks ahead and make the change gradually so kids can adjust more easily.
2. Create a Master Calendar
With everyone operating on different schedules, family time can quickly turn into chaos. Create a master calendar where everyone can post information about parent-teacher conferences, music lessons and other commitments for easy cross-reference.
Organizing apps like Cozi and Hub let everyone sync calendars across their devices, or you could use physical options such as wall calendars, a whiteboard or a DIY version. Choose whichever type works best for your family.
3. Conduct a Dry Run
How will the kids get to school? Walking, bus, carpool or a combination? Plan at least one dry run to make sure everyone allows for a sufficient amount of time without scrambling.
4. Firm Up After-School Care
If you're not going to be home when school gets out, whether it's due to work or other obligations, make sure your after-school care arrangements are set. Kids should always carry your phone number as well as several alternates in case of emergency.
5. Throw a Back-to-School Bash
Bridge the transition between carefree vacation and studious school days with a great back-to-school party. It's a fun way to bid farewell to summer and put a positive spin on heading back to class.
6. Combine Learning and Entertainment
Social activities don't have to end when the school bell rings. Make sure to plan regular family time for exciting events that even sneak in a little culture.
- This year the San Antonio Zoo will hold their popular Zoo Boo! event each Saturday and Sunday in October.
- Each month, First Saturday at the Alamo takes the whole family back in time for a living history look at frontier life in Texas during the 1830s.
- The historic Mission Marquis Plaza hosts a series of family-friendly movie screenings including a number of top animated and live-action films.