This article originally appeared on the Springs "You're Home Blog."
Did you make a New Year's resolution to be more active? Any time of the year is the right time to practice healthy habits. Avoid couch potato status with these easy but effective exercises you can do right in your Springs luxury apartment home.1. Overhead Squat
This exercise pays double benefits by toning both your arms and legs. Build up the tempo to boost the cardio effects.
- Start with feet slightly more than shoulder-width apart.
- Hold a rolled-up towel in both hands and raise it overhead, keeping hands also slightly more than shoulder-width apart.
- Squat down as far as possible, making sure that your knees don't extend past your toes.
This move combines two of the top total-body moves.
- Begin in a pushup position, but bend your arms at 90° angles to support your upper body on your forearms.
- Contract your abs as you extend your arms one at a time to assume a top push up position.
- Complete one rep by lowering back onto your elbows.
A strong core makes even everyday activities like climbing stairs easier to do.
- Lie face down, extending arms and legs. Keep your neck in a neutral position.
- As you tighten your abs, lift your arms and legs toward the ceiling. Your body should form an elongated U-shape.
- Hold position for three seconds before lowering back down.
This is another good move for strengthening your core, focusing on the oblique muscles along the side. Create more intensity by holding a ball, book or light hand weight.
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent. Lean back slightly while lifting your feet a few inches off the ground. Hold your arms straight out in front, hands clasped and elbows slightly bent.
- Rotate your upper body as far to the right as possible. Follow your arms with your eyes as you keep your legs in the starting position.
- Once you reach the furthest point, reverse direction and repeat to your left.
Who doesn't want a firmer behind? Tone your glutes with this simple yet challenging move.
- Lie face up, knees bent, feet flat on the floor. Place hands palms down at your sides.
- Raise your hips to form a straight line from shoulders to knees.
- Hold for two seconds before returning to starting position.
Cardio workouts can be difficult in an apartment home. Here's a great move to get your heart pumping without annoying the downstairs neighbors.
- Start face down in an upper pushup position with arms fully extended.
- Pull one knee up toward your chest, then return as you quickly alternate to the other knee. The result should be similar to a sideways Stairmaster.
When you want a more thorough workout, the fully-equipped 24/7 fitness centers at our Springs communities are just steps away from your apartment home. Afterwards, reward yourself with a refreshing dip in one of our resort-style pools.