Relocating is a daunting prospect under the best of circumstances. When you have to pull a move together on short notice, in a matter of two weeks or less, the task may seem impossible. The good news is that, with a little focus and a lot of organization, the road to your new home can be relatively bump-free.
Life is full of surprises. Keep these tips handy and you'll be ready to handle a quick move like a pro.
Before the Move
- Remain calm. You may be in a state of shock, but you don't have the luxury of contemplating the hows and whys. Summon your inner strength. You actually may be more prepared than you realize.
- Perform triage. Determine what needs to be done now and what can be done as you settle in. Sit down with a calendar and create a schedule to keep yourself on track.
- Don't wait to start packing. This is the biggest part of a move, and you'll need every minute you can get. Have a supply of Sharpies on hand and label the boxes so you can reference them at a glance.
- Decide who will handle the actual move. Whether you enlist family and friends or hire a moving company, you'll need to provide them with notice immediately.
- Inform the rest of the world. Submit a change of address to the post office and give the information to your banks and credit card companies.
After the Move
- Set up the furniture and items you'll need immediately. Your list can be as short as "my bed" or it might include the TV, computer and coffee maker.
- Create an inventory of your belongings. You’ll know what your immediate needs are, and avoid any sudden unwanted expenses in the future.
- If necessary, apply for a new driver’s license and register your car. Don't forget to let distant family and friends know your new address.
- Explore your new area. This will be the fun part. Take trips by foot and by car to get a well-rounded view from all perspectives.
With our online leasing process, Springs Apartments makes it easy for you to select an apartment, submit your application and sign a new lease from wherever you are. Plus, our on-site management team is a great source of information about your new home and surroundings.
We want you to feel comfortable right away, so stop in or call whenever we can be of any assistance.