Thanks to the reach of the Internet, and social media in particular, consumers are making their voices heard like never before. Sites like Yelp and Angie's List allow users to share opinions on a wide range of businesses, from attorneys to Zumba classes.
If you're looking for a new apartment, you aren't limited to evaluating communities by sight only. You have the benefit of real-life reviews based on personal experience. We've put together some guidelines about the value of apartment reviews and how to get the most insight from them.
Learn Major Pluses and Minuses
Do several reviews comment on the friendly and helpful management team? Maybe more than one person has mentioned the lack of available parking. When you see a common thread running through reviews, that's usually a reliable indicator of significant positive and negative features.
Get a Picture of a Community Over Time
Most sites can be sorted by different criteria, including date posted. Reading from the earliest reviews to the latest can sometimes show whether or not conditions change, especially regarding complaints, which may be a sign of responsive management.
Establish Your Deal Breakers
Let's face it: the likelihood of finding a 100 percent perfect apartment is slim. Reading reviews will help you decide what trade-offs you are willing to make. For instance, you may read comments about the hot water being slow, but you can live with that because the community is clean and well-tended.
Take Reviews With a Grain of Salt
- Don't put too much stock in reviews that go over the top in either direction. Look for ones that are more even-handed.
- Some complaints, such as high rent, are almost generic and can usually be ignored.
- If a review sounds more like a marketing brochure, it probably is.
- Stay away from reviews that are too vague. Thoughtful reviews will include specific details supporting the opinions.
- While reviews are helpful, they should not be considered the last word. Use them to supplement your own findings gained during visits to the community.
Did you know that three of our Springs Apartments communities are ranked in the top five in their states for online reputation? The job of our on-site management teams is to provide residents with an exceptional living experience. We want to hear from you with any comments, questions or concerns you may have!