When you're away from your Springs Apartments home for an extended period, whether for work or play, it's always reassuring to return to familiar surroundings. Don't let your homecoming be spoiled by fuzzy life forms growing in the refrigerator or an even worse emergency to deal with. Use this checklist of pre-trip preparations to avoid any unpleasant surprises when you get home.
Leave a Clean Home Behind
In the whirlwind before departing, it's easy to skip housecleaning and leave it for your return. But do you really want to have all that work waiting for you?
- If you can't finish perishable foods in your refrigerator, toss them. It's not worth the possibility of coming home to moldy containers and funky smells.
- Empty all trash and recycling containers. Make a final run as close to your departure as possible so nothing is left behind.
- Wipe down the kitchen counters and run the garbage disposal.
- Make your bed with fresh sheets. No matter how tired you are, a messy bed is not going to be appealing.
Be Safe, Not Sorry
- Any electrical items that will remain plugged in should be on surge protectors. All others should be unplugged.
- Put a light and a TV or radio on timers so it's not obvious that no one is home.
- Turn down the heat or air conditioning.
- All valuables such as jewelry should be secured out of sight, preferably in a locked container.
- Double-check to make sure all windows are closed and locked with blinds or curtains closed.
Last but Not Least
- Put a hold on newspaper and mail delivery.
- Pay any bills that will come due while you are away.
- Have a plan for care of your pets and plants. If you have a trusted friend or family member who is willing to pet- or plant-sit, leave a key with them. If not, find a reputable boarding facility for your pets. Make sure plants are well-watered and moved to a cool spot.
- Leave some easy-to-fix food for your return, or prepare a couple of casseroles and put them in the freezer. If you can't start the day without coffee, make sure you have a good supply.
Our Springs Apartments team takes the safety and comfort of you, your family and your home seriously. Please let us know if you will be away for an extended period of time and we'll be happy to keep our eyes open for any potential problems.
Do you have an ideal vacation spot? It might be somewhere you've already been, or a place you've always dreamed about. Share it with us in the comments!