As with most emergencies, clogged drains seem to happen at the most inconvenient times. Our Springs maintenance teams are here to help, but clogged or slow-running drains are relatively common occurrences that often respond to DIY treatment.
Try these solutions the next time you're confronted with a stubborn drain. We've also included helpful tips to keep drains running smoothly.
1. Clear the Clog
Sometimes the problem is caused by hair, food particles or other substances that are stuck close to the drain. In these cases, simply remove the drain filter and remove the obstruction. (Note: you'll probably want to put gloves on first.)
If the materials are further down, use a converted wire coat hanger to clear the debris. Be careful not to push the obstruction further down into the pipes.
2. Take the "Plunge"
Every home has a traditional rubber plunger, but they're not just for toilets. Fill the bathtub or sink with enough water to cover the rubber portion and clear the surrounding surfaces in case of splashing. Place the plunger over the drain and push it up and down vigorously several times.
3. Commercial and Homemade Drain Cleaners
Drano and Liquid-Plumr are the most well-known brands of commercial drain cleaners. Some of the products are formulated to cut through standing water, in case the drain is backed up.
Today there are several eco-friendly drain cleaners on the market as well. You can also make your own with hot water and dish detergent. This solution is particularly effective if the drain is clogged with grease.
4. Tips to Keep Drains Clog-Free
- Avoid putting food scraps, coffee grounds, egg shells and grease down the kitchen sink. Put organic waste to good use by adding it to a compost pile. Grease should be collected in a jar or can for disposal in the trash.
- The stopper in the bathroom sink traps hair and other foreign items, so make sure you clean it periodically.
- Occasionally fill the sink or bathtub with hot water and release it to flush the drains.
- Use a drain protector in the bathtub to catch hair, soap scum and other debris.
Our Springs luxury apartment communities are promptly and thoroughly maintained inside and out by our friendly and efficient maintenance team. Stop in and visit with our cheerful on-site management team to learn the many other reasons why you should be living at Springs.