Is there anything more cuddly than a freshly bathed dog? Unfortunately, the process of getting him there can be chaotic and frustrating for both of you.
Don't despair—it really is possible to turn your pet's bath time into a more pleasant experience. Your dog may never learn to love baths, but using these expert tips will make him a lot more manageable.
- The bathroom sink can accommodate smaller dogs, while a regular bathtub should be used for larger dogs. The pet spa areas at our Springs luxury apartment communities offer a great "neutral" location that suits all sizes and types of dogs.
- Traditional training methods also work well for bath time. Use toys and treats to get your dog into the bathtub initially, then reward him whenever he demonstrates good bath time behavior. It can be helpful to have him spend time in a dry tub just to get accustomed to it.
Proper Washing Techniques
- You wouldn't enjoy getting into water that's too hot or too cold, and neither does your dog. Be sure you're using a moderate water temperature.
- Place a towel or mat down in the tub to prevent slipping.
- Use a mild shampoo that cleans effectively without causing dryness. Your vet can recommend a good brand. If your dog has a particularly dense coat, dilute shampoo with a bit of water to prevent globs of soap that are difficult to rinse.
- Wash from the neck down to protect your pet's eyes, mouth and ears, using a damp washcloth to gently wipe his face and head. A dog's ears are particularly sensitive to water, so place cotton balls inside if your pet will allow it.
- Finish with a generous rinse of clean water to make sure all residue is removed.
- Your pet is sure to do that initial doggie shimmy-and-shake to dry himself off, so be ready!
- Carefully dry your dog with a soft, absorbent towel. You can find super-absorbent dog towels at most pet stores.
- Once your dog becomes used to baths, you can try using a blow dryer, but don't force the issue if he's uncomfortable with the heat or noise.
- Check your pet's ears for dirt and wax. If needed, use cotton balls saturated with ear cleaner to remove debris.
Why not give your pet a day of pampering with a romp in our leash-free dog park followed by a luxurious bath at our pet spa? It's a perfect way to share time together and return his unconditional affection.