This article originally appeared on the Springs "You're Home Blog."
"Failing to plan is planning to fail." There's some debate about the origin of this quote, but not about its wisdom. If you're preparing to move into one of our Springs luxury apartment homes, efficient planning saves you a lot of headaches.
Moving options generally fall into one of four categories. Which is the right solution for you?
1. DIY Move
Most people have used this option at least once in their lifetime: scrounging cardboard boxes from grocery stores, renting a truck and bribing friends and family with pizza and beer.
- ADVANTAGES: Clearly this is the least expensive of the four options. Other than sustenance for your crew, the only major expense is renting a truck or trailer, which can run from $120 for a local move to $1,000 for long-distance.
- DISADVANTAGES: You're at the mercy of everyone's schedules along with their moving skills.
2. Hiring Professional Movers
There are several soup-to-nuts moving companies that handle everything from packing to unloading. Your only responsibility is handling personal valuables and items (clothing, toiletries, etc.) you'll need during and immediately after the move.
If you select this option, be sure to get at least a couple of estimates along with customer references.
- ADVANTAGES: There's little to no labor involved on your part, leaving you free to concentrate on getting settled in your new apartment home.
- DISADVANTAGES: This is by far the most costly of the options, even if you're simply moving across town. Hiring two men and a truck for a local move can run $90 to $120 per hour.
3. Hybrid Move
"Hybrid" is a hot buzzword in this day of eco-awareness, and it's an effective compromise between the first two moving methods. You take care of the packing, usually with the help of friends, and hire a moving company for the loading and unloading.
A subset of this option involves renting a container or pod which is dropped at your current home and transported to your new home. If you have a small amount of furniture and possessions, you can possibly share a container for greater savings.
- ADVANTAGES: A hybrid move minimizes both the expense and labor you have to invest. As a point of reference, a 200-mile move for a two-bedroom apartment is approximately $650 to $700.
- DISADVANTAGES: Same as the first two options, but to a lesser (and more manageable) degree.
4. Commercial Shipping
Freight companies lose money when they transport less than full truckloads. A service like uShip matches you up with companies that have available space on trucks heading in your direction.
- ADVANTAGES: Since you're essentially helping the freight companies out, you can get a great break on pricing.
- DISADVANTAGES: While you can get good rates for a few specific items, the overall cost can be prohibitive if you're shipping a full apartment's worth of goods.
Have questions about where to park a moving truck or the best time of day to move in? Our on-site management team is ready to help!