This article originally appeared on the Springs "You're Home Blog."
When you're looking for the right luxury apartment, amenities are usually the deciding factors, but do you take the floor plan for granted? The layout and flow of an apartment can have a major impact on your level of satisfaction.
Our Springs management team has some helpful tips on choosing a floor plan that best suits you and your needs.1. Consider Your Lifestyle
Do you work from home? What are your hobbies and leisure-time activities? Think about how you’ll be spending the majority of time at home and the type of floor plan that would be most accommodating.
- Are you the host(ess) with the most? Stick with an open floor plan that's conducive to socializing.
- If you enjoy cooking, you'll want an apartment home with a large, well-appointed gourmet kitchen that includes features such as an island, designer appliances and plenty of cabinet space.
- Are you one of the growing number of telecommuters? You'll have less stress if you have a clear distinction between work and living areas. Choose an apartment home with an extra bedroom or a cozy nook that can serve as your office space.
Square footage numbers by themselves aren't a reliable indicator of sufficient space. Interior designers suggest assigning rooms to one of three different categories: private (bedroom), service (kitchen) and public (living room). Calculate the amount of square footage allotted to each and determine if it's enough to meet your needs.3. Don't Overlook Storage Space
Storage areas can be some of the most valuable space in an apartment. Design experts recommend that closets, cabinets and other storage areas should make up 10 to 15 percent of the square footage.4. Traffic Control
As you walk around the apartment, think about whether there’s a logical flow to the layout or room-to-room transitions are clumsy and awkward.5. Don't Get Distracted
Don't confuse amenities with space. For instance, modern appliances won't be much use if you can barely turn around in the kitchen. Focus on the actual space and how you’ll put it to use.6. Let Your Budget Be Your Guide
Be realistic about your budget. An apartment home with multiple bedrooms may sound fantastic, but if the rooms go unused or you can't afford to fill them with furnishings, there isn't much point.7. Trust Your Instincts
You know yourself and your needs better than anyone. Don't be influenced by advice from well-meaning friends or family based on their preferences.
Don't have the time or opportunity to review the floor plan in person? Many of our Springs luxury apartment communities offer these convenient tools:
- 3D floor plans display a model as it would look fully furnished. Use the layouts as-is or let them inspire your own ideas.
- Interactive space planners allow you to drag-and-drop furnishing icons to scale so you can "try out" different layouts.
Stop in and learn more from a friendly member of our on-site management team!